Arranging a Nikah Ceremony
- Contact the Islamic Da‘wah Academy to obtain a nikah application form and arrange the date and time for nikah.
- The form must be returned at least three days before the day of the nikah.
- Proof of identity in the form of an original passport must be produced for examination with the completed nikah application form. We will retain a copy for our records.
Conditions of Marriage:
- If any party to the marriage is a widow / widower or divorced, evidence in the form of a death certificate or civil divorced certificate (Decree Absolute of Divorce) must be produced together with the nikah application form.
- No nikah will be performed where the party is under 16 years of age.
- If a party to the nikah is aged over 16 but under 18 years of age, nikah will not be perfomed unless written consent of parents is obtained.
- A nikah application form signed by both parties to the marriage must be completed giving all information / documents requested.
- If one or both parties to the marriage are non British passport holders or do not have indefinate leave to remain in the UK then the nikah can only be performed on production of a civil marriage certificate or a letter of appointment for a civil marriage from the registrar's office.
- The nikah committee's approval is required before any nikah takes place, and their decision is final.
- The committee reserves the right to refuse to allow any nikah to take place if it has reasonable cause to suspect the bona fides of the parties to the marriage or believe that false information has been provided on the application form and / or false documents have been provided with the application.
- By signing the nikah application form both parties to the marriage agree to abide by and accept the above conditions.
- In the event that one or both marriage partners are converts to Islam, a letter is required from the person who conducted their shahadah, confirming their acceptance of Islam.