Following the opening of the masājid for individual ‘ibādah, below are some important Shar‘ī guidelines and rulings to take note of:
1. In principle it is permissible to perform any ṣalāh in the masjid, i.e. Farḍ, wājib, sunnah, nafl, etc
2. It is a general rule that Farḍ ṣalāh in congregation is more rewarding in comparison to performing it individually. Therefore, if one’s circumstances allow one to perform Farḍ ṣalāh at home in congregation then the Farḍ ṣalāh should be performed at home in congregation rather than individually in the masjid.
3. If one’s circumstances do not allow one to perform Farḍ ṣalāh in congregation at home, then one is at liberty to perform Farḍ ṣalāh at home or in the masjid.
4. However, due to the blessedness of the masjid, it is better to perform one’s individual Farḍ ṣalāh in the masjid rather than at home.
5. If one decides to perform Farḍ ṣalāh in the masjid, one should bear in mind the mustahab and preferable times.
6. It is not permissible to perform any ṣalāh, whether at home or in the masjid, at three times:
a. from sunrise till the sun has completely risen from the horizon (approximately 15 minutes from sunrise)
b. midday (approximately 10 minutes before zawāl i.e zuhr beginning time)
c. before sunset (approximately 15 minutes before sunset)
7. It is not permissible to perform nafl ṣalāh at two times
a. after ṣubh ṣādiq (true dawn) i.e. fajr beginning time till the sun has completely risen.
b. after performing the Farḍ of ‘aṣr ṣalāh until sunset
8. It is permissible to engage in ‘ibādah other than ṣalāh (e.g. tilāwah, dhikr, du‘ā, etc.) throughout the day in the masjid or at home.
9. All ‘ibādah should be carried out in a manner in which others engaged in ‘ibādah are not inconvenienced or disturbed.
10. The sanctity of the masjid should always be upheld, hence one should at all times adhere to the etiquettes, cleanliness, etc. of the masjid.